Howard Wetsman, MD is an Addiction Psychiatrist who has pioneered the treatment of addiction as a primary complex biological illness regardless of reward involved. He has been using genetics to guide the treatment of patients for over 10 years in various capacities.
Follow Dr. Howard Wetsman:
“The drug isn’t the agent that causes addiction”- Dr. Howard Wetsman
- Why addiction should be classified as an illness.
- The role of dopamine in accelerating and decelerating addiction.
- Why drugs aren’t the cause of addiction.
- The genetic components that affect addiction levels.
- [1:28] What did Dr. Howard learn in medical school about alcoholism?
- [4:00] Why he uses the term illness when defining addiction.
- [6:13] The story of addiction and where it began in America.
- [8:14] The power of chemical dopamine release, its functions, and how its contribution to addiction.
- [16:04] Dr. Howard’s mission of making addiction not a problem in America since there’s no sophisticated medicine for the illness.
- [20:37] How he made a solution for addiction and why he believes nobody cares about it.
- [23:22] He shares his views on ASAM’s decision of coming up with another definition of addiction.
- [27:30] Why we need to work on our attachment on drugs and not the drug itself.
- [32:21] He explains the genetic component that affects dopamine which in turn affects addiction.
- [39:53] Do drugs really cause addiction?
- [43:07] Why cocaine in itself doesn’t release dopamine.
Thank you for listening to The Same 24 Hours Podcast with Meredith Atwood.
Please subscribe, rate and review the podcast if you loved it - really helps others to find the show!
More information on Meredith and her new book, The Year of No Nonsense, is below.
Follow Meredith & the Podcast on Social:
Request to Join the FREE Year Of No Nonsense Facebook Group:
Want to be a guest on the Show? Have a connection you'd like to make?
Email us! firstname.lastname@example.org
Host, Production & Hair Pulling: Meredith Atwood
Audio Production: George Antonios
Podcast Branding and Web: Moon40 Marketing
Copyright 2020, All Rights Reserved, Meredith Atwood, LLC